01. Corf Castle
Corf Castle is a fort located just above the village of the same name on the Isle of Berbeck Peninsula in Dorset, England. Corfe Castle is roughly triangular and is divided into three sections called squares or wards. Built by William the Conqueror, the fort dates back to the 11th century and commands a gap in the Purbeck Hills on the road between Wareham and Swanage. The first phase is one of the oldest palaces in England, with most being built of mud and wood, and at least partly of stone. In the 12th and 13th centuries, the Corfe Castle experienced considerable construction alterations.
1572 in, Elizabeth I, when it was sold to Sir Christopher Hatton, Corfe Castle’s crown rule was removed. Sir John Banks purchased the palace in 1635 and owned it during the English Civil War. His wife, Lady Mary Banks, led the defense of the fort when it was surrounded twice by parliamentary forces. The initial siege failed in 1643, but by 1645, Corfe had been besieged and was one of the last royal forts in southern England. In March of that year, the Corfe Castle was trivialized by the order of Parliament. Belonging to the National Trust, The palace is open to the public and in 2018 had about 237,000 visitors. It is a Grade I listed building and is preserved as a Scheduled Caste Monument.
02. Hochberg ruins
Hochberg (“Upper Fortress”) is a ruined fort located between the town of Emmendengan and the sexau village in the southwestern Baden region of Baden. It is believed to have been built in the 11th century and was originally known as Castle Hochberg. The aristocratic lineage is known as the Maghreves of Baden-Hatchberg often derives their name from this fort, which was the second-largest fort in Baden before it was destroyed by the French.
Historians are uncertain as to where the name Hatchberg came from. One theory is that an estate in the region was given to a man named Hacho, who was part of Charlemagne’s entourage. This hypothesis is also supported by an engraved plaque attached to the palace by Carl II, which is referred to as Castro Haberk in a document dating to 1161. However, even if the true founder of the house is often the chosen name and for their generation, as a result of Baden-Baden Hochberg called home side branch of the family.
After the capture of much of Baden’s property in 1681 through the Treaty of Nijmegen’s Peace, the French voluntarily destroyed the defenses, and the manned Fortress Hutchberg could pose a significant threat to their new territory. Three years later the farmers set fire and destroyed the remaining houses. In 1688, French troops destroyed the remains of the fort and reduced it to ruins.
Hochburg is free for anyone to visit. It is part of Baden-Württemberg’s program for the preservation of palaces and gardens, and in 1991 a small cellar museum was added. The palace is depicted in several paintings and is surrounded by many myths, hidden treasures, and restless knights waiting to return.
03. Caerlaverock Castle
Caerlaverock Castle is a triangular fort with moats, the first to be built in the 13th century. It’s on the fringes of Caerlaverock National Nature Reserve on Scotland’s southern coast, eleven kilometers (seven miles) south of Dumfries. From the 13th century until its abandonment in the 17th century, Caerlaverock was a castle owned by the Maxwell family. It was besieged by the English during the Scottish War of Independence, and in the 14th and 15th centuries, it was partially demolished and rebuilt. Earl Maxwell Nithsdale constructed and erected the new residence on the walls in the 17th century, describing it as “the most ambitious original classical architecture in Scotland Architecture.”The palace was last besieged in 1640 and was later abandoned. Although it has been demolished and rebuilt several times, the palace retains its distinctive triangular design that dates back to the 13th century. Caerlaverock Castle was erected to keep commerce under control.
Caerlaverock Castle is located in the Nith Estuary national scenic area and, protected because of its scenic qualities and, Fortress is recognized as a turning point in the area. The fort is located at the northern extremity of the Caerlaverock National Nature Reserve, which consists of salt marshes, mudflats, and grasslands and spans 55 square kilometers (21 square miles). It is a major wintering place for ducks and seabirds, including barnacles, on a global scale. Preserved as a designated monument, the historic environment is under the protection of Scotland and is a popular tourist attraction.