Between 1888 and 1892, the Magnificent Marble House was constructed for Mr. and Mrs. William K. Vanderbilt. 19 in the first half of the century, the modest houses Newporters to remind them it is known as the summer home or “house” was. Marble House, however, was much more than that: it was a social and architectural landmark that paved the way for Newport, Rhode Island’s metamorphosis from a tranquil summer town of humble wooden houses to a glamorous stone castle resort.
Mr. Vanderbilt was the grandson of Commodore Cornelius Vanderbilt, who established the family fortunes on the steamboats and the New York Central Railway. His older brother was Cornelius II, who founded the Breakers. Alva Vanderbilt was a leading employee of the Newport Club and aspired to Marble House as her “Temple of the Arts” in America.
Architect Richard Morris Hunt by the house and is designed Versailles at Trianon Petit is influenced by. There are 500,000 cubic feet of imported marble in there. Mr. Vanderbilt presented the house to his wife as a 39th birthday present once it was completed. The Vanderbilt had three children: Conciello, who became the ninth Duchess of Marlborough; William K., a pioneer in the American auto racing sport. Harold, one of the greatest sailors of his era, successfully defended the American Cup three times.
The house was added to the National Historic List in 1971 and designated a National Historic Landmark in 2006. It is now open to the public as a museum maintained by the Newport Conservation Society.
The other details
The mansion was built between Alva and William Kissam Vanderbilt as a summer “house” between 1888 and 1892. It was a social symbol that helped transform Newport from a relatively relaxed summer colony to wooden houses and now a popular stone castle resort. The fifty-room mansion required a staff of 36, including butlers, maids, coaches, and infantry. In gold dollars, the house costs $ 11 million (equivalent to $ 317 million by 2020), with $ 7 million going toward 500,000 cubic feet of marble. Cornelius Vanderbilt II, Vanderbilt’s oldest brother, then from the Newport Cottages Between 1893 and 1895, the biggest breakers were constructed.
The mansion is still in very good condition and is used for guided and non-guided tours as well as for many special occasions, parties, and weddings. Marble House is one of the most popular tourist destinations in Newport, RI. In keeping with the custom of the time, Wonderbuilds built a large cart house for Marble House diagonally across Bellow Avenue, now known as Rowensky Avenue. Courage House is located near Rowenski Park, which is maintained by the Newport State Conservation Society. The Carriage House property is currently privately owned and converted for residential use.
Marble House is based on the Petit Trianon of Versailles Palace and is one of the first instances of Beaux-Arts architecture in the United States. Jules Allard and Sons of Paris were the first to hire Vanderbilts to design some interiors on Petit Chateau’s Fifth Avenue in Manhattan and designed the French-inspired interior of Marble House. The site was designed by landscape architect Ernest W. Bowditch.
The House U- shape and, it looked like a two-story, in fact, there are four levels: the ground floor kitchen and other service outlets are located; The reception room is on the ground floor; The bedrooms are on the second floor; And on the third floor where the staff quarters are hidden. Burden brick wall and, with their outer sides Westchester white marble face and, it is the seventeenth and eighteenth centuries, according to the French classical architecture Hunt described.
There are a number of notable rooms in the interior. One of two French Baroque-style doors, each weighing a ton and a half, leads into the palace. Both are adorned with ” WV” monograms arranged as an oval medal. They were created in New York’s John Williams Bronze Foundry. Hall is a two-story room, the staircase and the walls of the Sierra and yellow with large marble stairs and, iron, gold brass stair rail tracks are. Rails are based on Versailles models. The 18th-century Venetian ceiling adorns ceiling with gods and goddesses.