Lichtenstein Castle is a private tourist site in southern Germany’s Swabian Jura. It was produced by Carl Alexander Heidelof and is known as “the Wertberg fairy tale”. Ignore the location – the palace is located on a hilltop that marks the northwestern border of Swabian Jura. It is located in the Reutlingen District and rises 817 m above the Echaz Valley near Reutlingen, Honau, in the province of Baden-Württemberg. The modern fortress was inspired by the novel Liechtenstein (1826) by Wilhelm Hauff and was built in 1840-1842. The ruins of the medieval palace that inspired the novel are hundreds of meters away.
Beginning around 1100, Acham and later a family of ministers in Wurttemberg located a fort on the top of a hill above the source of the Echas River. The lords of Lichtenstein, who lived in the palace, were not sympathetic with the Free Imperial City of Reutlingen, and were therefore regularly assaulted. The old fort was destroyed once by Emperor 1311 during the Civil War and twice by the citizens of Retlingon between 1377 and 1381. In 1390, a new fort was built about 500 meters (1,600 feet) from the old ruins. The selected site was similar to the current structure. It was one of the most impressive forts of the late Middle Ages. Despite features such as the original courtiers, it was almost invulnerable, and in 1567 the palace ceased to be the seat of Duke and fell into disrepair. It was captured by the Tyrolian Line in Habsburg in 1687, after the death of the last member of the Liechtenstein family during the Thirty Years’ War (1618-48) and the Great Turkish War.
The earliest mention of Fort Liechtenstein dates back to the early 1200s, but it received a serious blow in the 14th century. It was first completely destroyed during the war of Reichschreig in 1311 and was rebuilt in 1381 only to be rebuilt by the forces of the state of Retlingon. After the siege and destruction of Fort Liechtenstein, no one invested in rebuilding it. , And the fort remained to be destroyed for the next 500 years. Renovation of the Liechtenstein Palace was initiated in 1840 by the Duchess’ Commission of the Duke of Urach in the province of Wටrttemberg, the owner of the palace. Carl Alexander Heideloff, the architect who designed the famed Romantic neo-Gothic architecture at the time, oversaw the building.