Dunrobin Castle is a lovely house in Sutherland, Highland, Scotland, that serves as the residence of the Earl of Sutherland and the Clan Sutherland dynasty. In the direction of the Dornoch Firth, it is 1 mile (1.6 km) north of Golspie and roughly 5 miles (8.0 km) south of Borora.

Dunrobin’s origins extend back to the Middle Ages, although Sir Charles Barry erected the majority of the current buildings and grounds between 1835 and 1850. Although some of the original building can still be seen in the inner courtyard, it has undergone a number of expansions and alterations. The largest house in northern Scotland. After seven years of use as a boarding school, it is now open to the public.

It is located north of the largest houses in Scotland and is the largest house in the Northern Highlands with 189 rooms. The Earls and subsequently the Duke of Sutherland lived at the castle, which dates back to the early 1300s and was one of Britain’s oldest continually occupied residences.



History

Dunrobin Castle has been known as the home of the Earls and Duke of Sutherland since the 13th century and was first mentioned in 1401 as a family fortress. Earldom in Sutherland is one of the seven oldest condoms in Scotland and Sutherland is one of them. The most powerful families in Britain with many important marriages and territorial ties.

Earldom in Sutherland was built in 1235 and since then there seems to have been a fort at this location, probably an early medieval castle. The name Dunn Robin comes from the Gaelic word for Robin Hill or Fort and Earl Robert VI of Sutherland, who died in 1427.

The original fort was actually a fortified, square retainer, with a ceiling six feet thick and walled, protruding from the top of a hill. The store was isolated for about 200 years until a staircase and a high house were added.

It was covered by a series of collections from the 16th century. In 1785 a large extension was built. This original retention in the complex of these later extensions still survives, making it one of the oldest settlements in Scotland.

Sir Charles Barry was commissioned in 1845 to fully transform the castle from a popular aristocratic retreat inspired by Queen Victoria’s new house at Balmoral to a Scottish Baronial-style residence.

Barry was the architect of the Parliament of London and was in great demand. The whole project, including the Versailles-based gardens he designed in the 1850s, had a French influence with conical towers.

The inside of Barry was partly devastated by fire in 1915, and today’s interior was mostly designed by Scottish architect Sir Robert Lorimer, who modified the style of the main tower and clock tower on the north side of the structure to Scottish Renaissance.

1 COMMENT

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here