Belem is a free and independent district in Lisbon, the capital of Portugal. Belem lies in the western part of Lisbon, west of Ajuda and Alcantara, and directly east of the Lisbon-Oeiras border.

Belm Tower, St. Vincent’s Tower, or simply St. Vincent’s Tower, is a 16th-century stronghold in Lisbon that functioned as a shipping and landing point for Portuguese explorers as well as a ceremonial entry to the city. It was built during the heyday of the Portuguese Renaissance and is a prime example of the Portuguese monolithic style, but it also contains hints of other architectural styles. The structure is made of lion limestone and consists of a fort and a 30 m (98.4 ft), four-story tower.

Since 1983, the tower has been a UNESCO World Heritage Site and also the Jeronimos Monastery. It is often depicted as a symbol of the European era of discovery, and as a symbol of the name Portugal or Lisbon. It is incorrectly stated that the tower was built in the center of Tagus and is now located close to the shore, as the river was diverted after the 1755 Lisbon earthquake. In actuality, the tower was constructed on a tiny island off the coast of Lisbon, on the Tagus River. On July 7, 2007, the Belem Tower was added to the list of Portugal’s Seven Wonders.

History

In the late 15th century, King John II created a defense system for Tagus ‘ mouth, which rested on the Cascais and Sao Sebastion ( or Torre Velha) forts on the south bank of the river Caparica. These forts did not completely protect the mouth of the river and further protection was needed. In 1545, appeared in his ” Chronicle of John II of the” (Joao II of the Chronica de D. It) at, author of Garcia de Resende in Lisbon that the security is not enough, to build forts along with the gate, he emphasized that he’s confirmed opinion. To the Tagus River in addition to the existing defenses. For this, he was “a strong tower to create” order, but, he died before the plans. King Manuel I of Portugal reassessed the concept twenty years later and authorized the construction of a military fort on the Tagus River’s northern bank in Belem. Lorenzo Fernandez’s intention to build a tower at 1513 res? elo Velho wrote a letter to his friends and said, it was decided that there should be.

Manuel died two years ago, in 1519, the building completed by the Gaspar was stationed temporarily to command de Pvt fortress, his Commission, 1521, September 15, the day fixed was, he was the first captain or general? and Fortress was appointed. Named after St. Vincent’s Castle in honor of the patron saint of Lisbon.

Exterior

Belem Tower, one of the most notable buildings in Lisbon, depicts Manueline architecture, symbolizing the great era of Portuguese expansion. Built on a hexagonal floor plan, the four-story tower is shaped like a bow on a ship. of water. The main facade of the fort faces the sea and gives a completely different feel than the tower on the river bank.

Built of ivory-white limestone, the true beauty of the structure lies in its external beauty. Embossers are embedded in the walls of the lower castle, and the unique warriors are shaped like shields decorated by the command of Christ. That ornate filigree adorns the outer walls of the square tower, where stone tools are carved. Spherical and naval ropes – symbols of Portuguese naval prowess – adorn windows and arches. Dinky onion-spherical Moorish-style watchtowers highlight every corner of the terrace, while four more tarts surround the upper terrace.

The highlight of the tower, the beautiful arcade Renaissance loggia, adorns the south facade, so it is invisible from the beach – a small masterpiece of military architecture, inspiring enough to walk in the gang and see this beautiful mannequin sea fortress.

See Hidden Jungle Temple

By nadun

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *